(NEW YORK) — As U.S. officials proclaim an alleged European terror plot still active, New York City police conducted a drill Thursday that simulated a Mumbai-style attack on civilians on a crowded street in Manhattan’s financial district.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly addressed the media before the drill, which began with two large explosions. “This is what we do,” he explained. “We think the unthinkable.” The drill simulated multiple bombs and shooters, including a bomb under a vehicle, and police responded with helicopters, dogs, automatic weapons and an armored car.
Earlier Thursday, the State Department’s counterterror chief told reports in London that the travel alert issued last week that advised travelers in Europe to be careful was still in effect. “We don’t view the conditions as warranting us rescinding the alert,” said Daniel Benjamin. The alert was issued Oct. 3, when intelligence led authorities to believe a Mumbai-style assault on so-called “soft” civilian targets might be imminent in Europe.
In the immediate aftermath of the 2008 Mumbai assault that claimed 175 lives, the NYPD revised its tactics to deal with a terrorist commando assault.
Keep Reading on ABC News Radio
Follow @abcnewsradio on Twitter
Photo Courtesy - Getty Images